Sudan’s military coup leader, Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has said the military seized power to prevent “civil war”.
Protests are continuing for a second day in the capital, Khartoum, with roads, bridges, and shops closed,
while there was also disruption of phones and internet links and at least 10 people according to the report
are killed after Sudan’s military ousted its civilian government on Monday, October 25.
The US, AU, and UN have all called for the country’s return to civilian rule.
“The dangers we witnessed last week could have led the country into civil war,” Abdel Fattah al-Burhan in a news conference.
He adds that after the deposition of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, he is at the general’s house
“for his own safety” and would go home soon.
“The prime minister was at his house but we feared that he will be harmed and he is now with me in my house.
“I was with him last night…and he is going about his life…he will return to his home when the threats are over.”
Gen Burhan said he had dissolved civilian rule, arrested political leaders, and called a state of emergency
as political groups had been inciting civilians against the security forces.
However, according to the report since Monday, troops are going house to house in Khartoum arresting local protest organizers.
There is closure of the city’s airport and the suspension of international flights.
Civilian leaders and their military counterparts are at odds since the overthrown of long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir in 2019.
An agreement between civilian and military leaders was designed to steer Sudan towards democracy but has proven fragile with a number of previous coup attempts, the last just over a month ago.
By Taiyelolu A